Preoperative Information and Requirements
Many times people considering cosmetic surgery are very excited and yet apprehensive about the choice of undergoing an elective surgery. The fact that you may be coming to a different country to have your surgery may be a concern to you. Sometimes these thoughts may be overwhelming, but for others coming for this surgery is a dream come true. We would like to assure you that we will treat you with the utmost compassion and will do all within our power to see you meet your goals with your chosen surgery. A positive approach to surgery is very important. Realistic goals are also very important.
There are a few things that you should be aware of prior to coming to our clinic for surgery. Please follow this advice in order to get the best possible results from your surgery.
- For 2 weeks prior to your surgery you must discontinue the use of any products, supplements containing Vitamin E, Aspirin compounds, or Fish Oil. Recent studies have shown that many of these products can cause excessive bleeding during the operative and post-operative periods and may even interfere with your ability to complete your surgery or to get the desired results. Because these products contain anticoagulant properties, healing may be slowed, and in some products, the effectiveness of anesthesia may be affected. If you find that you need to take an analgesic prior to the surgical time in this 2-week time period, please use a product with acetaminophen such as Tylenol or Datril. Please disclose any use of supplements to us on the Online Application for Surgery.
- There are many over-the-counter medications used for colds and allergies that also contain Aspirin; thus a table is available on this site so you may be aware to avoid them. Your pharmacist may always be consulted if you are in doubt about what medications might contain Aspirin.
- The night before your surgery it is advisable to take a shower and wash your hair using an antibacterial soap. Repeat this procedure the morning before coming to the clinic for your surgery. Please do not apply any moisturizers or other cosmetics after cleansing your face.
- Try to get a good, restful night of sleep the evening before surgery. We realize that many of you may be flying in the evening before, but do your best to get some quiet rest. If you need a mild sedative to help you sleep, that is permissible.
- Please do not consume any alcohol the evening before the surgery.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco must be stopped at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery and discontinued for 3 weeks after the surgery. Smoking causes constriction of the blood vessels and may interfere with the results of your surgery.
- Depending on the type of surgery and anesthesia you are having, you may find it necessary to rely on others to assist you with driving, dressing changes and garment application.
- If you are choosing liposuction, it is recommended that you have daily massages of the areas that are liposuction. Please note that these are not included in the cost of the quote for your surgery. Check with us as to the cost if that is a concern to you. The cost is minimal.
- Laboratory tests will be required prior to your surgery. You may have them done in the month prior to coming to Costa Rica or you may have them done here with one exception. If these results are all normal you may bring them with you; otherwise please fax them to us at the fax number listed on our website.
- Generally the tests that are required are
- Complete Blood Count, including platelets;
- PT, PTT;
- Complete Metabolic Panel;
- If over the age of 50 an EKG is advisable prior to general anesthesia. Note: If you are a Gastric Bypass patient, and there is some alteration on your hemogram it is advisable to have a total iron profile done in addition to the other tests that are required, to be certain that you have not developed Iron Deficiency Anemia. This is requested to be done 2 months prior to your elected surgery to give you time to increase your iron levels if necessary. Any alteration in this policy must be approved by Dr Rosenstock or Dr Cohen.
- If your surgery includes a face lift, bracheoplasty (arm reduction) or any augmentation, reduction or breast lift, it is advisable to bring clothing that can be managed easily. These garments would include buttoned or zippered blouses than can be put on without lifting your arms over your head. You might want to consider loose-fitting jogging suits or pants with elastic waists for surgeries including liposuction, tummy tucks or thigh lifts.
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight the evening before your surgery, unless otherwise directed by the doctor. You may brush your teeth, but don’t swallow the water.
- Please notify the doctor or clinic if you feel ill, feverish or congested prior to your surgery.
- Bring any medications that you will need to take after surgery with you to the clinic. Examples are blood sugar or blood pressure, or heart medications. In some instances, the doctor may want you take some of your medications the morning of your surgery. Discuss this with the doctor before taking them during your pre-operative evaluation.
Please feel free to e-mail us to ask any questions that might come to you as your surgical date approaches. We want you to be comfortable and to have a very good experience with us. Your safety and your results are of utmost importance to us. If you would like to have some references of prior patients, please feel free to contact us. We can also supply you with a list of local establishments that you can consider for your stay here. Some even provide services such as commuting to and from the airport and clinic appointments and meals, as well as assistance with your recovery needs.